There's plenty of speculation from all kinds of media on the ramifications of the recent decision handed down by the Supremes regarding the "President and P.C.J." (that's Paula Corbin Jones in case you've missed it.)
We decided to weigh in on the subject because so many media sources are speculating on "what will be the result of a sexual harassment trial on women" (the gender gap)?
And, as usual, they assume that we are mindless creatures that are incapable of considering all the facts of the case. More importantly, that we are stupid enough to be led to a decision by a media which has ceased to report news and now either makes it, makes it up or does commentaries on it.
"Well," the media-mavins say, "look how women supported Anita Hill and all that resulted? Sexual harassment became a household word. This is going to hurt the President and his Party in the upcoming elections. Women are not going to stand for it."
There now. We've been defined and boxed into an attitude. We've been told what to think and what to do. The Jerks! They can't seem to comprehend that GenderGappers are self-defined women that no longer fit into the society's pre-defined, cultural mold. They can't get beyond their own image-making and realize that we think for ourselves.
Several questions have occurred to us and we pass them on for your consideration.
1. Can the legal definition of sexual harassment relate to one encounter?
2. What, if any, penalty occurred when she allegedly refused "the indecent request?" Did she lose her position? Take a demotion or salary decrease?
3. Why was there such a change in Paula's story after the "Pubs' " attorneys took her under their wing and why did she and her attorneys refuse to meet with women's groups (such as N.O.W.) who wanted to help her?
4. She claimed initially that she was only trying to clear her name and only made the charge because her name appeared in a national publication. What appeared was just the name, Paula. Is she the only Paula in Arkansas?
5. Why didn't Clinton simply settle months ago and avoid all this?
6. If Clinton "played around" to the extent the media tells us, when he was Gov. of Arkansas, why aren't women coming out in droves to tell their story, to describe "those particular genital characteristics" and especially to pick up the dough that has been offered for anything detrimental to Clinton.
7. If the Arkansas State Police acted as pimps as charged, why does all but one claim this is untrue?
1. Trial attorneys who specialize in sexual harassment suits tell us that the operative word in the statute is "unwelcome or unwanted." They say this gives, in effect, one free pass, that is, a person must first indicate that the sexual attention is "unwanted." It is the subsequent encounters that qualify as harassment. Paula's affidavit indicates only one encounter and she states she was not forced, just asked, and that she refused.
2. Today we are told that the charge against Clinton will not be sexual harassment but another charge will be substituted involving sexual impropriety.
3. We refer to what she told friends and family directly following the alleged encounter. It is massively different from what is now in her affidavit. It is also bothersome that she and her attorneys have attacked women's groups for not giving her support when it is a matter of record that they tried to but she would not meet with them.
4. Clinton claims the event never happened and that he does not remember ever meeting Paula.
5. Both sides are now saying they would be open to a settlement. "It's not about money I just want to clear my name," sez Paula, asking for $800,000.
Bill sez, "It never happened but, O.K., I'm willing to settle for that price as long as the money goes to charity." And through all this "she sez, he sez", GenderGappers surely noted the important advances made in Europe and N.A.T.O. last week.
Find yourselves another stereotype, fellers. We aren't paying attention to you.
Copyright 1997 Renee T. Louise and Ruth M. Sprague, Ph.D. These articles may be republished for noncommercial use only, provided that they are copied intact, and that this copyright notice is attached. Address all queries to: TWANDA@ConnRiver.net.
G e n d e r G a p p e r s T M